Translate

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Lake Thunderbird, Eastland, Texas Falconry, and Lake Hefner


                                                                     Red-necked Grebe

11-24-17

This was the day that my birding friend called and wanted to do something in way of birds.  No matter how I feel, even after six weeks post hand surgery, I said that I wanted to go.  We knew about the rare Red-eared Grebe and hoped for a sighting and a photo, if we were lucky.  The closest report was at Lake Carl Blackwell, Payne County, but it was not there.    We went to the second reporting sight, and there it was, at the local grebe convention.  Many birders have seen it, but I never thought that I would be so lucky.

Needless to say, I could not carry my camera, nor could I use my left hand after the hand surgery.  I relied on help, so that was the only way that this shot could happen.  Thanks to Sylvias Serpentine, who saved my day!





                                                                          Barred Owl


12-02-17

We were due for another adventure, so The Three Musketeers went to Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge in Vian, OK, for more action.  There was plenty there, but I was not able to do anything yet, other than hit the shutter button and change ISO.  At least I got this beautiful Barred Owl.  My comrades managed both Ruby- and Red-crowned Kinglets, but they were too fast for me.  Thanks for setting up my camera several times, dear friends.



12-07 through 12-10-17

To the hunt, to the hunt, to the hunt!  This was the famous Ryan Vance memorial Hunt and what a turnout for the events.  Everyone with a raptor came to hunt prey or show their birds at the educational show at the Eastland, TX Museum.

I got myself another trophy or three, which included photos of some gorgeous Harlan's Hawks, which I had never seen before.  Believe it or not, the first rabbit kill was done by a dog, not a raptor.  To the victor belongs the spoils and did we have a fantastic weekend.

The best part for me was the fact that my doctor cleared me to bring my camera, but I had to follow certain restrictions.


                                                           JD and his Red-tailed Hawk


                                                                 JD's Red-tail solo


                                                                 Savannah Sparrow


                                                           CS's Red-tail at a kill


                                                    CS and her Red-tail, who got a rabbit


                                                            Wild American Kestrel


                                                                Harris's Hawk


                                                              Harlan's Hawk #1
                                                     

                                                                 Harlan's Hawk #2 (Female)


                                                   Harlan's Hawks #2 (on right - female)
                                                                and #3 (Male on left)


                                                               JD's Red-tail in flight


                                                                JD's Red-tail banking


                                                         Two Yellow-billed Loons


The last photo was on on return trip after the hunting trip where we observed Yellow-billed Loons on
Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City.  What a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment