Translate

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Birds at the Head of the Class


                                                                     Green Heron


                                                         Fledgling Red-winged Blackbird


                                                            Male Great-tailed Grackle


                                                               Female Orchard Oriole


                                                                 Neotropic Cormorants


                                                                   Turkey Vulture


0700-1112 hrs./68-86 degrees F/partly cloudy/8 mph SE winds

It was a beautiful day, but the air was filled with excess humidity.  Even many of the birds
stayed in the recesses of the deeper woods.  What birds managed to come out were out early,
and they returned to the shade as soon as they could.

However, parenting forces birds to feed their young and when they call, an alarm goes off
and they are fed like clockwork.  There were two little Red-winged Blackbirds, and the oldest
did its best to follow its father, but the young one in the tree didn't move while I was there.

The female Orchard Oriole has a nest and was getting a little nectar at the local trumpet vine.
Across the street was a calling White-winged Dove, which isn't in these parts much.  With any
luck, I'll be on the other side of the bird tomorrow and get a passable photo, instead of a sun-
drenched one.

The wooded area off the creek has several Prothonotary Warblers, one of which is reasonably
friendly.  I've ben trying to get a better shot, and I hope that I will be able to do so.  There are
also three Red-headed Woodpeckers, and a Great-crested Flycatcher that I'd love to capture.
Perhaps this will be the year for it, but I won't be greedy, as I've been very fortunate this season.

This Turkey Vulture was feeling g his oats today and gave me this fabulous opportunity, which
made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment